Monday, July 5, 2010

Tropical Tiki Hut Card




Last month my friend, Cheryl, showed me an ice cream parlor card she'd made & I couldn't wait to try it. We'll be making one in my August Club.

Of course, I was preoccupied with my upcoming Tropical Party Class. I kept thinking how fun it'd be to create a little tiki hut card based on the design of the ice cream parlor card. I decided to order the Cheers to You set to use with the Tropical Party set. Well, I finally made it the morning of my class - in time to use it as a decoration, but not in time to make as part of the class.

So anyway, this is how I made the card:
  • I started with a top fold whisper white card base.
  • I took old olive cs and scored it at 1" and 2", folding in opposite directions, to create an awning. I stamped the palm branches in olive on the olive cs, then cut between the fronds. Attach only the top 1/2" of the awning so it can stick out.
  • I used more mustard cs for the bar/shelf of the hut and gave it texture with the "bark" texturz plate from Kit #4. I stamped some fronds in olive to look like grass at the base and "cheers to you" greeting in black.
  • On the bar I stamped the daiquiri and margarita glasses in black from the Cheers to You set and the coconut drink in soft suede from the Tropical Party set. I colored them in with various markers.

  • NOTE: I remade this card, but don't have photo. I inked the texturz plate with More Mustard and then ran it through the Big Shot and it looks great! The sentiment and "grass" still show up fine.
Isn't it just too cute?! I thought it'd make a great birthday card for someone's 21st birthday. Or maybe a fun anniversary card for my husband since we went to Hawaii on our honeymoon.

The size of the last image is a little distorted, but I wanted you to see the decoration next to the card. I cut out tropical flowers using the Island Oasis die and "skewered" them on straws. Then I put them in margarita glasses filled with tropical flavored candy.

Supplies:
sets- Tropical Party, Cheers to You
cs- 4-1/4 x 11" whisper white, 4-1/4 x 2-1/2" old olive scored at 1" & 2" (awning), 4-1/4 x 2-3/4" scored at 2-1/4" (bar/shelf)
ink- basic black, old olive & soft suede pads; various markers- poppy parade, peach parfait, blushing bride, tempting turquoise, summer sun, rose red, green galore, pear pizzazz, pumpkin pie
access- Big Shot, Texturz Plates Kit #4

Happy Stamping! Mary
p.s. let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment